Saturday, March 10, 2012

Spring Energy Stirring

Hallelujah, I'm back in business!  Ebbing nausea, rising energy levels and a pain-free mouth led to a good week of home practice, class attendance, and self-study (svadhyaya was this week's fridge flashcard).  Began with an evening gentle yoga and meditation class by one of my favorite teachers.  I admire her ability to tailor her classes to suit her students' needs- every time, she asks the class if anyone has any areas they'd like to focus on, which they invariably do, and she manages to effortlessly incorporate these foci into her flow.  For the meditation she had us do a "bumble-bee" breathing technique which involved the class making loooong, slow "humming" sounds on our exhales.  The effect of sound and vibration from the constant, flowing hum of a dozen people, breathing in their own rythym, was hypnotic.  She ended the class by using her crystal singing bowls during savasana, which I greatly enjoyed, they seem to put me in an energy-charged trance.

The other class I attended this week couldn't be further from the gentle yoga and mediation class.  Oh, Mommy and Me yoga, I always come to you with such high hopes... I should really adjust my expectations, because if the baby isn't cooperating, then it makes me more tense than I was before I came in!  I do enjoy the instructor, she makes an effort to know everyone's names, and manages to guide the moms, wrangle the babies, keep everyone safe and still exude an aura of happy relaxation.  Girl's got skills.

Home practice is evolving in tandem with P's nap schedule.  My previously peaceful morning baby nap hour may soon be history.  A couple times this week I went ahead and did a short practice while P played around, and sometimes on, me.  It was actually pleasant, he seems to enjoy mommy doing all these funny moves, and while I can't always maintain my focus it's darn good practice.  Additionally my dear husband has consented to be guinea pig with my cueing and homework assignments, and he actually did an evening asana session with me tonight!  I hope he'll continue to enjoy yoga with me and want to take part, it's incredibly helpful for me to have to go slow, break things down and respect that he's coming at this as a newbie.  If you read this, I love you honey, thank you for supporting me!

Spring IS coming, I can feel it!
     


No comments:

Post a Comment